In 1878, Swindon ASC was formed making it the oldest club in Swindon and the second oldest in Wiltshire. It was founded just eight months after Chippenham who were formed in the previous August and also lays claim to being the 3rd oldest in England.
In the early days the Swindon Club gained much of its support from Great Western Railways (GWR) staff with several of its senior officials becoming president. The club worked in close liaison with GWR Medical Fund Society whose baths they had used from the beginning, revenue earned from gala’s was then ploughed back in to the Medical Fund. A ladies swim section was introduced on April 28th 1902 but had to swim on different nights to the men. In 1960 “liberation” came, men and ladies nights were amalgamated ( membership increased!). It was also because of these ladies that during the war years the swimming club did not close down like many others.
In June 1952 Lew Whitewood a member of the Swindon ASC , an ex-Wiltshire freestyle champion and a Western Counties bronze medallist in backstroke held an inaugural meeting with Les McCabe a member of Coate ASC, a club that had by then virtually stopped operating. They agreed to form a new club with the title of “Swindon Dolphin Amateur Swimming Club”.
Swindon ASC has seen many changes over the years but is still flourishing to-day, its purpose being to serve the local community at the same swimming pool on Milton Road. Swindon ASC is known as a friendly, family orientated club and works hard to operate on a purely voluntary basis with a team of dedicated coaches, teachers and enthusiastic helpers all with one goal: to promote swimming for all ages and abilities in safe and friendly environment, allowing swimmers to gain confidence in the water, have fun, enter competitions and achieve their potential. Thus carrying on the tradition of over 137yrs.